The Volmer VJ-22 Sportsman is an American homebuilt, two-seat high-winged monoplane of wood and fabric construction. Using the wings from an Aeronca Champion, the aircraft's flying boat hull is made of mahogany plywood, waterproofed with fiberglass cloth.
The aircraft's single engine, normally a pusher of between 85 hp (63 kW) and 100 hp (75 kW), is mounted on pylons above the wing centre section. The engine can also be mounted in tractor configuration and engines of up to 135 hp (101 kW) have been used successfully. A retractable tailwheel undercarriage is provided. The pilot and passenger sit side by side under an enclosed canopy, and are provided with dual controls.
This aircraft is largely complete, with various spares, plans and books available.
An agent for Sport Aircraft Sales has inspected the aircraft on site, and provided photographs, although the aircraft is sold as a project - as is where is. Wings and horizontal tailplane parts appear available but not fully constructed.
Genuine offers are invited for this sale.
Location: Kayena TAS
Specifications (85 hp engine):
- Length: 24 ft 0 in (7.32 m)
- Wingspan: 36 ft 6 in (11.13 m)
- Height: 8 ft 0 in (2.44 m)
- Wing area: 175.0 sq ft (16.26 m2)
- Empty weight: 1,000 lb (454 kg)
- Max takeoff weight: 1,500 lb (680 kg)
- Fuel capacity: 20 US Gallons (76 L)
- Powerplant: 1 × Continental C85 air-cooled flat-four, 90 hp (67 kW)
- Maximum speed: 95 mph (153 km/h, 83 kn)
- Cruise speed: 85 mph (137 km/h, 74 kn)
- Stall speed: 45 mph (72 km/h, 39 kn)
- Range: 300 mi (480 km, 260 nmi) (max fuel, no reserves)
- Service ceiling: 13,000 ft (4,000 m)
- Rate of climb: 600 ft/min (3.0 m/s)
Contact Nicholas Christie at Sport Aircraft Sales on +61(0)3 95311018 / or 0466649868 for a confidential discussion, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.